The Ultimate ARF Racing Drone Guide
So you just unboxed your first racing drone (or “miniquad”) and you want to get flying — but you come to the sickening realization that it does not come with a manual! How the heck are you going to fly this thing when you can’t even get it to communicate with your shiny new transmitter?
Don’t worry — you’re not alone. This hobby is shockingly devoid of documentation or manuals; especially considering how complex the aircraft it revolves around are. That’s is why we put this webpage together. In our Drone Racing Guide, we put together a compendium of all the information you need to know to to build your own racing quadcopter. In this page, we have put together a similar guide for the folks who have purchased a pre-build drone and just want to start flying.
Here are the things you will learn by reading the articles linked from this page:
- Miniquad basics — how they fly, what components make them up, what you’ll need to get started.
- Flight training — how to prepare for your first flight, and how to progress to racing or acro flight.
- Miniquad set-up — how to pair your drone with your controller and FPV goggles, what you should look for before your first flight.
- Updates and customization — how to update the software on your drone, how to tune it for optimal flight performance, how to add new features.
- Repairs and maintenance — how to fix your drone after you crash (you will), how to maintain it so it lasts a long time.
Let’s dive in!
Miniquad Operating Manual
- Miniquad Anatomy
- Installing your RC receiver
- Binding your radio to your ARF miniquad
- Wireless video system (FPV) primer
- Pairing your video receiver (goggles) with your quadcopter
- All about miniquad batteries
- How to download Betaflight Configurator
- Inspecting your new miniquad
- Understanding props: proper installation, safety and more
- Tips for your first flight
- Extra features: OSDs, LEDs, buzzers, etc
Learning to Fly
- Miniquad controls
- Learning to fly on a simulator
- Learning to fly on a toy quadcopter
- Your first real flights
- Tips for improving your flying
- Getting started with racing
Getting Familiar With Drone Software
- Updating the firmware on your miniquad
- Betaflight configuration guide
- The glossary of Betaflight features
Repairing Your Miniquad
- Soldering 101
- Building for durability
- Upgrading your miniquad